We are the leading emerging tech design agency in the UK.
- the UK’s first e-commerce Alexa skill
- one of the first Google Assistant actions to be based on Google’s new Transaction functionality,
- a voice assistant for a smart speaker (on par with Alexa),
- VR data visualisation platform for novice users…
So we know what we’re talking about.
You’re probably already convinced that the next big shift of consumer behaviour will be towards voice and chat-based interfaces. Nice one. So are we. But it’s fair to say it’s not yet clear exactly what users want these new platforms to do, and organisations aren’t quite sure how they’ll fit into their product portfolios.
Get it right, and Conversational UIs could offer your organisation a significant competitive advantage, new revenue streams, content marketing channels and fresh new ways to engage your users.
Get it wrong, and you’ll taint your brand’s image, struggle to retain users, fall behind your competition and, in the worse case, have all ‘innovation’ projects in your organisation written off by management as expensive failures.
Work with StudioFlow and get it right. We help you by designing the right thing – by truly understanding untapped unsatisfied needs of your users – and designing the thing right – using our years of experience designing digital products.
Some of the product design services we offer:
Many of our clients know they want a voice, chatbot or other emerging tech experience, but they don’t know where to start, how much it will cost, what their users want, etc…
That’s where we recommend generative user research to uncover these unknowns. Before a designer’s pen has touched post-it, this research will help you understand exactly what platforms to target, where, how much it’ll cost and with a feature set that matches your users’ needs.
We’ll then use evaluative user research to put the user at the centre of our iterative design process to produce a product that kicks ass.
Alexa Skill & Google Assistant Action VUX Design
We have years’ of experience developing compelling Voice UX for this platforms. The platforms are changing fast, as the tech giants race to one-up each other – but we are always ahead of the curve and ready to design experiences that take advantage of the platform’s new features.
Brand Guidelines to Conversational Personality
We work with some of the country’s best copywriters – and your own in-house talent – to distill the essence of your brand into a personality your customers can talk to. This isn’t just words – audio plays a huge part in the feel of your voice app. Getting your audio presence right is critical to expressing your brand effectively, and we work closely with you to craft that sonic landscape.
Bespoke Voices for the Ultimate Brand Presence
For organisations who need to ensure their voice is their own, we can help craft a bespoke voice to be used to speak your responses, using an in-house design methodology we call YourVoice.
Don’t rely on Alexa or Google Assistant’s spoken voice – your brand will have a unique voice of its own and be differentiated in the market.
This makes a significant difference to how your brand is received and helps drive engagement across your marketing channels.
We work with industry-leading partners to take the voice actor of your choice and created a synthesised version of their speech to be used in your VUI.
Our Design Process
Generally, our process consists of four phases:
- Needs analysis – user research, task model generation, use-case identification.
- Concept generation – prototyping, working with your product and dev teams
- Strategy planning – content strategy, analytics review, marketing roadmap
- Execution support – wireframes, utterance harvesting, localisation, beta testing, submission support, wake-word training
We work with clients to understand their needs and tailor a way of working that best suits their objectives. Broadly, one of these methodologies work for most clients:
- In-house consultancy – our design team will work on-site with your product, engineering, marketing, sales teams to augment your skills and get your validated MVP to market as quickly as possible.
- On-site training – working in a three-phase approach, our team will start by guiding your product teams on the best routes to market, eventually phasing out our hands-on role to oversee your independent skills, knowledge and capabilities. Best for teams who are committed to building voice apps.
- Studio projects – for teams who would prefer we took the reins, we will work with you to develop a project brief and complete the work in our own studio, bringing in the required skills as the project develops. We can augment our team with yours, to let you skill-up your team in a controlled, low-risk manner, while still hitting critical shipping deadlines. Best for teams who want to experiment, but don’t have the resource bandwidth in-house.
We are currently working with a large multi-national tech company building a first-party voice assistant into their physical products. We’re still under NDA, so can’t talk about it too much.
Our biggest clients we can talk about are:
In late 2016, we helped Just Eat release the UK’s very first e-commerce Alexa skill, allowing users to order their favourite food with their voice. Several product iterations later, and we had expanded the original feature set to let users navigate their order history, change payment details, order party food, access discounts and marketing campaigns and much more. A fully adaptive user experience, the skill will adapt both the spoken responses and the flow you’re taken through depending on your level of previous engagement – another first in VUI design.
We later released updates to support Amazon’s Echo Show and Echo Spot devices, adding an additional visual aspect to the voice-first experience.
Quickly spotting the rise of Google Assistant as another major player in the voice platform wars, we released a version of Just Eat for Google Assistant on Android and Google Home devices. Working with Google to become one of the first apps in the UK to be released using their new Transaction API, it was the first app of its kind to support Google hybrid touch, type and talk interface.
- Amazon Alexa – Voice-first + visual cards. Echo, Fire TV, Fire Tablet.
- Google Assistant – touch, talk & type. Android 5.0 or higher, Google Home, Wear OS. Android Auto.
- Automotive (the potential for voice in the car is huge! Most company’s don’t realise!) – Siri Shortcuts, Android Auto Actions, bespoke vendor platforms.
- Facebook Messenger
- Custom wake-word engines (Snips, Sensory, Picovoice, etc…)
- Custom text-to-speech engines (Google Cloud Services, Amazon Polly, etc…)
- Custom voices, synthesised from the voice actor that matches your brand.
- + anything else you want us to evaluate!
We also run emerging tech design workshops. Whether you’re a traditional design studio looking to diversify, a recruitment company looking to skill up your team, a group of colleagues looking to pool their training budget and use it to learn a new skill… we have a workshop for you.
Get in touch
Every client is different, and every client has different needs and objectives. Talk to us today about the ways we can serve you best: